Store electronic documents for the long term
The PDF/A format complies with the ISO 19005 standard and guarantees the long-term readability of documents. This makes it an ideal format for the long-term archiving of digital documents. The PDF/A-1 standard defined in 2005 corresponds to the ISO standard 19005-1:2005 and has been developed over the years into the variants PDF/A-2 (ISO 19005-2:2011) and PDF-A3 (ISO 19005-2:2012). By using the standardized PDF variants, it can be ensured that files can still be opened after long-term archiving.
Background are legal requirements and storage obligations in Germany. These prescribe audit-proof storage in a long-term archive, which makes it possible to find and read stored data at any time over long periods of time. In view of the increasing, cross-sector digitalization in all business areas, companies and public authorities are faced with the challenge of archiving electronic documents in a long-term and legally compliant manner. In addition to the archiving of documents, the storage of e-mails including attachments is usually an important requirement when setting up a long-term archive.
webPDF offers a central generation of PDF/A documents and subsequently enables an automatable, precisely configurable, and consistent archiving of processes in your company. Via the web services, webPDF can be easily integrated into existing business solutions such as SAP, Microsoft Exchange or HCL Notes. Nearly all documents can be converted on the server side and without access to the original software and thus be prepared for the archiving processes. webPDF has an integrated check function for the validation of PDF documents to ensure that only documents that comply with the official ISO standard are transferred to the archiving process. The webPDF Engine provides you with all necessary tools to professionally prepare documents for long-term archiving and to fulfill the legal requirements for document storage in a future-proof way:
- webPDF converts documents from more than 100 file formats directly into a PDF/A file and makes all necessary corrections and additions.
- webPDF supports all levels of conformity (A Accessible, B Basic and U Unicode).
- webPDF offers a central and automatable PDF/A creation for long-term archiving.
- On request, the webPDF Engine checks for compliance with the common standards PDF/A-1 (ISO 19005-1:2005), PDF/A-2 (ISO 19005-2:2011) and PDF/A-3 (ISO 19005-2:2012).
- webPDF offers the possibility to output detailed reports in XML format for processes in which you create and check PDF/A.